So it turns out that no, we actually are a nation of idiots, racists, misogynists, homophobes and xenophobes. We elected a reality TV star president because we’re an ignorant, frightened little nation, terrified of women, brown and black people, and change. That’s us. That’s America.
I really don’t have anything else to add to that. Best case scenario here is that we flip the Senate and House blue in 2018, and the government grinds to a halt for two years until we can try again. In the meantime, everything goes swirling down the toilet. Everything. Trade, the ACA, women’s rights, civil rights, the economy, the climate, science, everything.
Here’s some stuff to read.
- The Economist: How Donald Trump won the election
- The Economist: The economic consequences of Donald Trump
- New York Magazine: The Republic Repeals Itself
- Reuters: Putin says Russia ready to fully restore ties with U.S.
- Center for Public Integrity: Left counters election losses with ballot measure victories
- Washington Post: They existed in a girls-can-do-anything world. Then Donald Trump won the White House.
- New York Times: What the Trump Presidency Means for the Supreme Court
- YouTube: Hillary Clinton’s Full Concession Speech
- YouTube: Donald Trump’s Full Victory Speech
- YouTube: Barack Obama’s speech on Trump’s win