“‘Symphony of Destruction’ is a song by American heavy metal band Megadeth, released as a single from their 1992 album, Countdown to Extinction. The lyrics explore the hypothetical situation where an average citizen is placed in a position where he runs the country while the public is led by a phantom government. Penned by vocalist and frontman Dave Mustaine, the song received significant radio play and charted in various territories, making it one of Megadeth’s best known songs.” (Wikipedia)
You can check the lyrics here.
Well it’s been a hell of a week, eh? Wild spy reports about Donald Trump, cabinet confirmations, Rudy Giuliani, of all the people, in charge of cyber security, of all the things, midnight voting sessions by the sociopaths in Congress to strip protection for pre-existing conditions, free birth control, and candy for kids… JFC. I feel hungover and I haven’t even had anything to drink.
Let’s take a quick look at the news.
The House just voted on the first steps of repealing the ACA, following in the Senate’s steps. If you think they aren’t going to repeal Obamacare I’m telling you they are, it’s going to be a dumpster fire, and we’re all gonna suffer for it. You can read about some of the impacts of repealing the ACA at Politifact, in the LA Times, and in the Atlantic.
Folks on Twitter are saying that Paul Ryan, Speaker of the House, has disconnected his public phones. I haven’t called to check that myself, though.
In case you forgot, net neutrality is also on the chopping block now. Outgoing FCC commissioner Tom Wheeler doesn’t think it’s going to be all that easy to kill net neutrality, though. I hope he’s right.
We just found out that one of Trump’s top advisers, Gen. Michael Flynn, talked with the Russian ambassador while Obama was levying his punishments for the Russian cyber attacks. And also they lied about the timing of the calls. Which doesn’t necessarily mean anything, but is somewhat suggestive.
Okay, that’s enough of that. Here’s a small piles of links to good reading that I’ve saved up over the week. Enjoy!
Weekend Reading List
- Poynter: The best way to cover President Trump? Stay out of the White House
- FiveThirtyEight: U.S. Cities Experienced Another Big Rise In Murder In 2016
- Miami Herald: White poverty exists, ignored
- CNN: Intel chiefs presented Trump with claims of Russian efforts to compromise him
- Wired: How Spy Agency Vets Read That Bombshell Trump Report: With Caution
- Politico: Putin’s Real Long Game
- Vox: The bombshell report that Russia can blackmail Trump, explained
- New York Magazine: Trump Keeps Screwing Up Republican Plans to Repeal Obamacare
- NBC News: Former British Spy Christopher Steele Prepared Explosive Trump Memo
- The Guardian: How the Trump dossier came to light: secret sources, a retired spy and John McCain
- Spiegel: How Hitler Won Over the German People
- Vox: 11 questions for Donald Trump on his conflicts of interest
- FactCheck.org: Spinning the Russian Report
- Christian Science Monitor: The three big reasons Republicans can’t replace Obamacare
- Mother Jones: The Spy Who Wrote the Trump-Russia Memos: It Was “Hair-Raising” Stuff
- Foreign Policy: Trump Is Going to Regret Not Having a Grand Strategy