Today’s big news is that Hillary Clinton is leading Donald Trump in Georgia, by 3 points according to the latest polls. This is a ridiculous turn of events by the standards of recent political history.
Go check FiveThirtyEight’s 2016 Election Forecast for the numbers – you can hover over each state for specific poll numbers.
Hey, want some egg-hatching tips for Pokemon GO? Of course you do. Go check Lifehacker’s article. FYI, you should be walking in straight lines when you hatch eggs – going around and around the block doesn’t work as well. Who knew?
The Conversation is talking “smartphone addiction” today, which I’m not sure is actually a thing, but they have research that says people are checking their smartphones 150-300 times a day. Which is mind-boggling at best. I mean, I social media for a living, and I don’t check my phone that much. My phone is always binging and chirping and crybabying for attention. I might check it once or twice an hour, and that would be some heavy use.
Here’s a cool article about Venus. It may be that it used to be habitable. If you’re not up on your spaceology, Venus is the next closest to the sun from us, and it’s a molten, acid-soaked hellscape. We can’t even fly anything there to study it, because everything we’ve sent there melts. No, for real. Melts. From the acid. But there’s evidence suggesting it didn’t used to be like that.
Meanwhile, the Olympics banned .gifs of their events. And Vines. And anything like .gifs and Vines. Because they think they can do that somehow. No, really. Of course, they also think they can ban corporate accounts on Twitter from tweeting about the Olympics and using their sponsored hashtags, so I guess we shouldn’t be surprised.
I wonder if I’ll get sued for blogging about it? Heh.
In other news, the Vlogbrothers did an awesome thing today. They made a video series explaining the in-and-outs of voting, how to vote, how to register – everything you need to know about voting – in an effort to raise voter turnout. Check it out!
I love the Vlogbrothers.
And Now, the Trumpster Fire Update:
- Washington Post: Did Paul Ryan just predict that Clinton will win in a landslide? – This is a “GOP abandons ship”-type moment, folks.
- TPM: What We Should Glean from Today’s Polls – This one’s from yesterday, but still worth a look.
- Money.Mic: Donald Trump’s Campaign Website Won’t Let Some Cancel Recurring Donations – Scamtacular. Jim and I have been wondering if Trump thinks he gets to keep any campaign money he doesn’t use.
- The Atlantic: The Republicans Defecting to Hillary Clinton – It’s going to be really interesting to see how Republicans handle the Trump situation. He’s already dragging everyone else down with him to some extent – hence Ryan’s fundraising comments, above – but I’m curious to see how many down-ticket Republicans dump Trump in an effort to save themselves.
- TPM: Trump Admits He Didn’t See Cash Arrive In Iran After Repeating False Claim – Remember how Trump claimed he saw the US paying to get hostages back? Turns out he lied. Shocking!
- TPM: Trump New York Co-Chair Says ‘There Is No Doubt’ Obama Is Muslim – Oh FFS, people.
- Washington Post: In endorsing Clinton, ex-CIA chief says Putin made Trump his ‘unwitting agent’ – Someone with an expert opinion thinks Trump might be a national security threat. I do not have an expert opinion, but I’m pretty sure this guy is right.
- NPR: President Obama: The Election Will Not Be ‘Rigged’ – Repeat after me: voter fraud is not a thing that happens. It just isn’t.
- FiveThirtyEight: Trump’s Campaign Focused On Attracting Unlikely Voters, A Memo Shows – This is a pretty interesting read. The idea is that Trump was going after people who don’t usually vote. The data says it didn’t actually work (because of course not, those people don’t vote).
- FiveThirtyEight: Election Update: Trump’s Slump Deepens In The Polls – Just Nate Silver talking polls and math.
- TPM: Trump Is Fumbling The GOP’s Usual Voter Fraud Script–But Still Fueling That Fire – VOTER ID FRAUD IS NOT A THING, PEOPLE.
- New York Times: Donald Trump and a C.I.A. Officer Walk Into a Room – This one’s a joke, but it’s kind of a funny joke.
- Politico: Insiders to Trump: Drop out – Rumor has it people are trying to force Trump to drop out now.
Okay, folks, that’s all I’ve got. Now go watch this ecstatic German shepard tear around a muddy yard.