Professor Elemental is one of those special breed of YouTube nerd stars who appears to have gotten Internet famous by being generally awesome, funny, and liking steampunk. You can visit his website, check out his YouTube channel and read a teeny article about him on Wikipedia.
TGIF, folks, it’s been a long week. We’ve had dozens of little dramas in the news (which I think wears you out worse than one or two big dramas), plus it’s been kind of a busy week in real life, too. I think I’m in store for a busy weekend, also – lots of housecleaning and other detritus to take care of. Is it time for vacation, yet? I feel like it’s time for a vacation.
Weekend Reading List
- Axios: Facebook lets you call elected officials straight from the News Feed
- Buzzfeed News: Prosecutors Are Extracting Data From More Than 100 Locked Phones Seized During Inauguration Day Arrests
- FiveThirtyEight: The Two Cracks In The Republican Party
- FiveThirtyEight: The Future Of Obamacare Is In Trump’s Hands
- NPR: Who Oversees The President’s Ethics? Here’s Our List
- Poynter: How Investigative Reporters and Editors is fighting to save data under the Trump administration
- Politico: Democrats burned by polling blind spot
- Washington Post: An undocumented immigrant hanged himself after 3 months in an ICE detention center
- Wired: Wanna Protect Your Online Privacy? Open a Tab and Make Some Noise
- Deadspin: What Should I Do If ICE Shows Up On My Doorstep?
- Poynter: Make your video better with a tool you’re probably already using
- Council on Foreign Relations: Why Didn’t the U.S. React More Forcefully to the DNC Hacking?
- Backchannel: Google and Facebook Can’t Just Make Fake News Disappear
- Krebs on Security: Post-FCC Privacy Rules, Should You VPN?
- Washington Post: Secretary of State Rex Tillerson spends his first weeks isolated from an anxious bureaucracy
“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”
— The Fourth Doctor, “The Face of Evil”