Liveblogging the Trump presidency, one catastrophe at a time.
Today’s big news is probably going to be the House GOP’s gawdawful replacement proposal for the ACA. Here’s a quick rundown of what’s in their proposal:
- Some of Obamacare’s signature features are gone immediately, such as the tax on people who don’t purchase health care.
- The plan maintains the Medicaid expansion, for now. It ends in 2020.
- The replacement plan benefits people who are healthy and high-income, and disadvantages those who are sicker and lower-income.
- The bill looks a lot more like Obamacare than previous drafts.
- The AHCA bans discrimination against those with preexisting conditions, but charges more to people who have a break in coverage.
- The AHCA would let insurers charge older enrollees more.
- The AHCA provides tax credits for the individual market that would benefit high-income Americans.
- AHCA kills a new tax on employer-sponsored coverage, but keeps Obamacare taxes around for a year.
- The GOP Obamacare replacement defunds Planned Parenthood and restricts abortion coverage.
- The House GOP didn’t include a way to actually pay for the AHCA.
Looking for old Trumpster Fires? Look here.