UPDATE: The Senate just voted on McConnell’s Obamacare repeal-and-replace, with the Cruz amendment attached, and it failed, which was to be expected. This is not over. There will be more voting tomorrow.
- Axios: First GOP health care bill fails, with many more votes to come
- Vox: Senate fails to advance one Obamacare repeal bill, but the debate is still going
Also, I said earlier I’d keep updating this post, but it occurred to me that that’ll make the whole thing messier and more difficult to follow, so for clarity’s sake I’ll just make a new post tomorrow to catalogue the fresh onslaught of BS.
Original post below:
The moment the health care bill moved forward pic.twitter.com/L66ymIxHaJ
— Axios (@axios) July 25, 2017
This post will be updated until the Republicans finish taking our healthcare away from us (which, mark my words, is about to happen), so keep an eye on it for the next few days. New post up here.
What’s happened so far?
- The Senate has voted to proceed, meaning they’ll now debate the available healthcare bills. The vote was 50/50 with Pence breaking the tie. McCain voted yes to proceed. (NPR)
- “Senate Democrats are preparing a barrage of amendments to force Republicans to take politically unpopular votes on their plan to repeal Obamacare.” (Vox)
- There are rumors floating around that we could see voting on various amendments start as early as 5pm (8pm Eastern) tonight. (Twitter)
- “This is what we expect to happen now, per Senate aides. Remember: Things are fluid. Timing and order could change.” (Vox)
- New York Times: Watching C-Span? Here’s How to Follow the Senate Health Care Debate
- TPM: GOP Leaders Tout Motion To Proceed As ‘Beginning’ Of O’Care Repeal Process
- Politico: Trump celebrates Senate’s step forward on health care
What can you do?
- Call your senators, particularly if you have Republican senators.
- Email, fax, tweet, and Facebook your senators… after you call them.
- Can you get to your senators’ offices? Show up. Protest.