People have this idea in their heads that poor people are poor because they’re stupid or lazy, and that’s not how it works. Poverty does terrible things to a person, and it’s a trap. Once you’re in it, it’s nearly impossible to get back out of it.
The Atlantic’s piece on poverty is excellent, but if you’re the type of person who prefers to read something a bit less serious or a bit more funny that teaches you something about poverty, you might check out John Cheese’s articles on Cracked. He wrote a bunch of great stuff about growing up in poverty and living in poverty.
Here’s a starter list:
- 5 Telltale Signs You Grew Up In Poverty
- 5 Things Only Poor Teens Understand About Poverty
- The 5 Stupidest Habits You Develop Growing Up Poor
- The 5 Stupidest Habits You Develop Growing Up Poor (Part 2)
- The 4 Types of People on Welfare Nobody Talks About
- 4 Things Politicians Will Never Understand About Poor People
5 Things to Read Today (1/25/18)
- The Atlantic: Your Brain on Poverty: Why Poor People Seem to Make Bad Decisions – “There’s a certain pull to live what bits of life you can while there’s money in your pocket, because no matter how responsible you are you will be broke in three days anyway.”
- Washington Post: The Doomsday Clock just moved: It’s now 2 minutes to ‘midnight,’ the symbolic hour of the apocalypse – Because Trump, basically.
- Politico: The real reason for Congress’ shutdown fiasco – We instituted the Budget Control Act of 2011 and Congress hasn’t been able to get their head around it since.
- New Yorker: The Rising Backlash of the #MeToo Movement – Look, guys, it’s not that everything is rape. It’s that you’re not entitled to treat us like something you own. It’s not rape when you make a comment about our asses at an office party, but it is a crappy thing to do, and we’re frickin’ tired of it.
- CNN: Hundreds of newly created Twitter accounts pushed #ReleaseTheMemo – Everything to do with “#ReleaseTheMemo” is BS, invented and pushed for one reason only: to dirty up the Mueller investigation and provide cover for the Trump administration.