“The Green Arrow is forced to face a powerful new drug dealer when Wild Dog goes off on his own.” (IMDB)
- So tonight’s villain was played by Cody Rhodes, better known as Stardust, from the WWE. Stardust and Stephen Amell have been “feuding,” and Amell turned up to fight at a few wrestling events last summer. This episode Stardust got to return the favor by playing Derek Sampson. Apparently Stephen Amell is a big wrestling nerd. Fun!
- As you might have guessed, this episode was about trust, and Ollie deciding to trust his team. Don’t get me wrong, it was a pretty solid episode… but I feel like this is ground we’ve already tread. We’ve had three great episodes and they’ve all felt like they centered around issues we’ve already sorted out.
- We finally got to see Mr. Terrific in costume! Now all we need are the T-Spheres!
- Speaking of Curtis, I adore having a hero on Team Arrow who is a giant, unrepentantly thrilled nerd. He brings some desperately needed levity to the show. I want to see him and Roy hanging out sometime.
- What’sherface, the Black Canary wannabe, is not capturing my attention. They need to give that girl a personality. (Not the actress, the character.)
- Ragman is rapidly becoming a fav – I like his reaction to everything tonight. “Is he always like that? Does he always do that? Seriously?” It’s nice to have a sane person around who’s constantly like, “You people know this is messed up, right?”
- It seems like we’re going the “young Ollie” route with Wild Dog, which is fine, but the character’s still a bit generic. These kids really need a trip to Backstoryland, so I can figure out why I should give a crap about them.
- Lyla’s “I need you to break John out of prison” to Ollie? Called it.
- Dig hallucinating Floyd Lawton? That was a nice touch.
- Lots of great action this episode, too. We got a couple of good fights. Although I have to admit, I’m a little confused about Sampson’s power set. Basically he just couldn’t feel pain, right? But he was still taking damage. I feel like he should definitely dropped from the blood loss alone in that hospital fight – he got shot like four times, plus the arrow.
Line of the Night Award
This one actually goes to James who, while watching Wild Dog fight with Sampson on the catwalk over the chemical vat in the drug lab, exclaimed, “Is that an origin story they’re fighting over?”
Other Reviews & Resources
- IMDB | A Matter of Trust | r/CWArrow | Arrow on the CW
- IGN: Arrow “A Matter of Trust” Review
- ScreenCrush: Review: ‘Arrow’ Sprinkles a Little Stardust Over ‘A Matter of Trust’
- Den of Geek: Arrow Season 5 Episode 3: A Matter of Trust review
- AV Club: Arrow asks us to trust it, with increasingly good reason
- Next episode: Penance | 10/26 | Trailer