“‘Bad, Bad Leroy Brown’ is a song written by American folk rock singer Jim Croce. Released as part of his 1973 album Life and Times, the song was a Number One pop hit for him, spending two weeks at the top of the Billboard Hot 100 in July 1973. Billboard ranked it as the No. 2 song for 1973.” (Wikipedia | Lyrics)
You should maybe keep an eye on the news today. Julia Ioffe of The Atlantic was teasing Benjamin Wittes of Lawfare last night on Twitter, possibly about a soon-to-drop Russia story. Wittes did the “tick tick tick” thing when he knew a big Trump-Russia story was about to drop.
Weekend Reading List (9/29-10/1, 2017)
- Cracked: Why Old People Think Millennials Are Killing The World – “I can’t take another article about millennials. Which is ironic, since the title of this article will likely have the word ‘millennials’ in it. Since it’s sort of about … you know, millennials. I say ‘sort of’ because I don’t think the tidal wave of ‘MILLENNIALS ARE KILLING ____’ pieces are really about them. Not at their core.”
- Lawfare: To Understand Russian Election Interference, Start with this Movie About Doping – “Icarus is not about L’Affaire Russe or Russian intererence with the 2016 election. But if you want to understand L’Affaire Russe, you should watch it. Because Icarus is the story of the Russian government’s corruption of the integrity of supposedly neutral international processes and its use of covert action to tamper with those processes.”
- Daily Beast: Donald Trump Is Destroying Obamacare From Within – “Unable to repeal the law, the administration is trying to kill it with budget cuts. Officials in states like Michigan are now resorting to interns to sign people up for insurance.”
- CNN: DOJ demands Facebook information from ‘anti-administration activists’ – “The warrants specifically target the accounts of three Facebook users who are described by their attorneys as ‘anti-administration activists who have spoken out at organized events, and who are generally very critical of this administration’s policies.'”
- Vox: 2 gonzo ideas for slowing down a hurricane that might actually work – “Much of the research is focused on manipulating temperature, moisture, and wind to steer when and where these storms will occur. It involves geoengineering with giant tubes and aerosols. And it’s pretty intriguing — if still quite preliminary.”
Bonus Read at the New York Times, “Trump Could Save More Than $1 Billion Under His New Tax Plan.” The Times did a bunch of math based on Trump’s leaked 2005 tax returns and determined that Trump might stand to save a metric crapton of money under the GOP’s proposed tax plan. Quelle surprise, right?