If you only read one of these articles today, make it the ICE article. ICE is one of those situations where there’s almost nothing you can do except vote. I mean, sure, call your representatives and senators, but really, the only way to fix the horrorshow that is ICE and what they’re doing to people is to vote progressives into office in 2018 and 2020. And then just crawl right up their ass and die until they sort ICE and immigration out.
5 Things to Read Today (2/8/18)
- Inc: After Analyzing 127 Studies, Scientists Prove Coffee Is Good for Everyone but 1 Select Group – You have to drink 4-5 8oz cups to get the most benefit. Man, I never thought that day would come when I’d have to say I wasn’t drinking enough coffee. Also, the one group is pregnant people.
- FiveThirtyEight: Jeff Sessions Is Trying To Take Criminal Justice Back To The 1990s – Jeff Sessions is a travesty. “Moreover, many criminologists view his strategy as a throwback that’s unlikely to significantly curb violence or drug crime.”
- Wall Street Journal: How YouTube Drives People to the Internet’s Darkest Corners – YouTube algorithms drive viewers to the more extreme sides of political beliefs they already hold. So if you’re an alt-rightie, you’re driven further into extremism, etc. Also, the WSJ has a paywall, so if you can’t read the article, try this or this.
- Gizmodo: The House That Spied on Me – This writer turned her apartment into a smarthome to study the privacy risk and it turns out that smarthomes are super annoying.
- Daily Beast: ICE Wants to Be an Intelligence Agency Under Trump – God no. They’re already the absolute worst, they don’t need any more power to ruin people’s lives. “Immigration enforcers have tried for years to get access to spy agency secrets. Civil libertarians call the prospect ‘frankly terrifying’—and a lot more realistic under Trump.”