Lots of people are reporting that the Trumpcare zombie has been forced back into its grave. Here’s one. That’s all well and good, but the deadline for repealing Obamacare using the budget reconciliation method is September 30, so I’m not calling a time of death until October 1st, folks. CONSTANT VIGILANCE.
5 Things to Read Today (9/26/17)
- Wired: Snopes and the Search for Facts in a Post-Fact World – “If the administration had tossed the customs and niceties of American politics to the wind, there was one clearly identifiable constant: mendacity. ‘Fake news’ accusations flew back and forth every day, like so many spitballs in a third-grade classroom.”
- Full Frontal with Samantha Bee: Places to Donate to Mexico/Puerto Rico Relief – Samantha Bee has a list of places to donate to help Puerto Rico and Mexico. The list looks good, but if you’re curious about a given charity and how they use your money, you can check them out with www.CharityNavigator.org.
- Vox: “Hysteria is starting to spread”: Puerto Rico is devastated in the wake of Hurricane Maria – “Five days after Hurricane Maria tore through Puerto Rico, bisecting the entire island, the US territory is in the grips of a serious, life-threatening crisis, with humanitarian aid getting in far more slowly than is needed.”
- The Atlantic: The Dangerous Misunderstanding at the Core of the North Korea Debate – “Donald Trump lies so frequently and so brazenly that it’s easy to forget that there are political untruths he did not invent. Sometimes, he builds on falsehoods that predated his election, and that enjoy currency among the very institutions that generally restrain his power.”
- TPM: Timeline: How Republicans Broke Their Promise On Preexisting Conditions – ” The tradeoff that Republicans have not figured out is how to lower premiums for healthy people without screwing over those with expensive health care issues.”