“Roar” is a song by American singer Katy Perry for her fourth studio album, Prism (2013). It is a pop song containing elements of arena rock and lyrics centering on standing up for oneself and self-empowerment. Some critics praised the track’s production while others felt that its lyrics contained “clichés”. (Wikipedia | Lyrics)
Well, tomorrow is Trump’s 100 days, and what strikes me the most about them is what a sad and miserable failure they’ve been. For Trump, I mean.
He’s accomplished… nearly nothing. He’s issued a small crapton of executive orders, but many were meaningless and three were stopped in court and while the remainder aren’t great, they’re nothing we can’t recover from.
Trump is sad and tired and broken and harassed and hectored. His few joys include endless rounds of golf and showing off his electoral map. It seems to be all he has to show for his efforts.
This isn’t a win, for him or for us. Having him in the White House has emboldened hatred and empowered assholes across the country. One hundred days in, Trump remains a nigh-constant assault on the sensibilities of decent people everywhere. He is offensive, but so far, that’s kind of all he is, and we can live through being offended.
The investigation into Trump proceeds and every week they peel back another layer. There’s a time limit ticking softly, slowly away for this administration.
I can’t say if it’ll stay like this. I think that’s on us. A large part of the reason why Trump’s first hundred days have been such a mess of failures is directly due to the American people marching, protesting, calling their representatives, resisting.
Visit 5Calls.org and use it. Support good journalism financially. Stick together. Protect each other. Stand up for common decency where you can. Go to your representatives’ town halls and hold their feet to the fire. Where they are too cowardly to hold town halls, call them and demand to know why. Raise money for organizations who aid the disenfranchised in Trump’s America.
Resist. Take a nap. Eat something good for you. Watch something funny on TV. Resist more. This is going to be a long fight, so don’t exhaust yourself. Resist again.
Weekend Reading List
- NPR: An Opening For Trump In Deep Blue Oregon
- Lawfare: Understanding Russia’s New Role in the Middle East
- BuzzFeed News: How To Catch A Hacker
- Ars Technica: “Mindless Eating,” or how to send an entire life of research into question
- Vice: All Your Favourite Cartoon Characters Are Black
- Washington Post: Trump says his base ‘really wants’ a border wall. Polls show most Americans don’t.
- Vox: A new report reveals Obama misled the public about a quiet giveaway to Iran
- NiemanLab: Wikipedia founder Jimmy Wales launches Wikitribune, a large-scale attempt to combat fake news
- Vice: When You Find Out the World Is Against You
- Wired: You Need a Password Manager. Here Are Some Good Free Ones
- Lifehacker: Here’s Everywhere You Should Enable Two-Factor Authentication Right Now