Folks on Twitter are doing #WomenBoycottTwitter today – women and feminist allies are staying off Twitter to support Rose McGowan and protest Twitter silencing women while refusing to silence attackers and abusers. Nazis, asshats of the general variety, that sort. Read about it here.
Staying silent is not really my strong point so I’m not participating. Call me when you have a “Scream at someone about how wrong they are until they piss themselves and start crying” day. Actually, that’s not really my style anymore these days, either. It just takes so very much energy to argue with asshats, most of whom get off on the arguing anyway, and I have so very few fucks left to give for them. Call me if you’re having a “Muting asshats on Twitter while giving them the Finger” day.
Which is not to say that I don’t support the idea, or the women doing it, it’s just that Twitter is never going to fix its BS and we’re all just sitting around waiting for the platform to die or get bought by someone who gives a crap.
If you really want to change Twitter, you have to hit ’em where it hurts. Target their advertisers. Punch them in the wallet until they sit up and pay attention.
Also, c’mon, ladies. It should have been #WomenGirlcottTwitter. Obviously.
Weekend Reading List
- MotherJones: Why You Really Should Be Terrified About Trump and Nuclear Weapons
- Lawfare: A President’s Words Matter, Part II: Impeachment Standards and the Case of the Demagogue
- Lawfare: Obstruction of Justice and President Trump: Comments on a New Report
- Vox: A crucial part of the Harvey Weinstein story: his alleged enablers
- Daily Beast: Russia Probe Now Investigating Cambridge Analytica, Trump’s ‘Psychographic’ Data Gurus
- Politifact: Sinclair is targeting PolitiFact. But you need to know the facts
- Salon: A thwarted airport bombing receives little national press — and some activists cry foul
- Vox: 5 big questions we have about Trump’s health care executive order
- Washington Post: Facebook takes down data and thousands of posts, obscuring reach of Russian disinformation
- Axios: What we now know about the Las Vegas shooting
- Vox: Trump’s acting like Obamacare is just politics. It’s people’s lives.
- Vox: What Trump’s decision to “decertify” the Iran nuclear deal actually does