The original title of “War Pigs” was “Walpurgis”, dealing with the witches’ sabbath. “Walpurgis is sort of like Christmas for Satanists. And to me, war was the big Satan,” said bassist and lyricist Geezer Butler. “It wasn’t about politics or government or anything. It was [about] evil. So I was saying ‘generals gathered in the masses / just like witches at black masses’ to make an analogy. But when we brought it to the record company, they thought ‘Walpurgis’ sounded too Satanic. And that’s when we turned it into ‘War Pigs’. But we didn’t change the lyrics, because they were already finished.” (Wikipedia | Lyrics)
It’s been a rough week and a long one, and I wouldn’t be surprised if we were heading into a weekend full of drama and BS, so I highly suggest watching this video of playful otters. Maybe a few times. Y’know what, maybe just put it on repeat for a couple of hours. I mean, who doesn’t need a couple of hours of otters jackassing around?
Weekend Reading List
- The Atlantic: How Loneliness Begets Loneliness
- ProPublica: As Seas Around Mar-a-Lago Rise, Trump’s Cuts Could Damage Local Climate Work
- The GUardian: Stephen King on Donald Trump: ‘How do such men rise? First as a joke’
- The Atlantic: Hitting Bill O’Reilly Where It Hurts
- NPR: How Russian Twitter Bots Pumped Out Fake News During The 2016 Election
- Vox: Comedians have figured out the trick to covering Trump
- Poynter: For the last time, President Trump can’t change U.S. libel law
- Ars Technica: Did Reddit’s April Fool’s gag solve the issue of online hate speech?
- Vox: I watched Alex Jones give his viewers health advice. Here’s what I learned.
- Ars Technica: Taser stuns law enforcement world, offers free body cameras to all US police
- Lawfare: I Believe
- Mother Jones: The High Cost of Health Care Is Stealing Years of Life From Poor Americans
- Poynter: Facebook rolls out global warning against fake news
- Snopes: Snopes Is Now Embeddable
- Mother Jones: ‘The Most Dangerous Justice Department in Decades’
- Vox: Trump’s $1 trillion infrastructure plan is vaporware that’s never going to happen
- The Atlantic: Does Every Person See Their Own Rainbow?