I’ve got a busy day ahead, but I’ll pop in here from time to time to update on the status of things. Here’s what happened yesterday during the Trumpcare debate. Keep an eye on CSPAN for livestreams.
What’s happened so far?
- The Senate is about to vote on a straight repeal of Obamacare.
- Update: It looks like they just put the vote off until 12:30pm (3:30pm Eastern). They’re back to debating, now.
- The Senate just voted on the straight repeal (delayed for two years) of Obamacare and it failed. (The Atlantic)
- The afternoon has mostly been bickering, speechifying, and voting on a few motions, amendments, and non-binding amendments. Nothing too drastic going on at the moment.
- A little after 4pm (7pm Eastern) Senator Schumer announced that the Democrats weren’t going to offer anymore amendments until they see the so-called “skinny repeal” bill.
- Looks like the Senate adjourned while I was on my way home from work. They’ll reconvene tomorrow around 7am (10am Eastern).
Sounds like vote-a-rama might happen tomorrow, and the vote on the skinny repeal on Friday?Hang on, I effed up the order of things, I think. The Senate has 8 or 9 more hours of debate time, then I think they’ll propose the skinny repeal, then I think they do the vote-a-rama, then I think they vote on skinny repeal. I think that’s how the order goes.
- The Senate Democrats got the CBO to do a score on the skinny repeal bill. (IE, based on what’s being reported as being in the skinny repeal.) CBO estimated 16 million fewer people will have insurance than under Obamacare, and premiums will go up 20%. (The Hill)
I kind of think Skinny Repeal is going to become law and GOP will have no idea what hit it when premiums soar.
— Josh Barro (@jbarro) July 26, 2017
My guess is skinny repeal –> a decade of chaos in which millions suffer needlessly –> single payer. https://t.co/38IZx6bcu4
— Matthew Yglesias (@mattyglesias) July 26, 2017
- FiveThirtyEight: Senate Health Care Debate: Continuing Coverage
- Vox: Watch Sens. Sanders and Wyden slam Republicans for their secretive health bill process
- Vox: Republicans face a monumental choice on Obamacare repeal: go big or go skinny
- The Atlantic: What on Earth Is a Vote-A-Rama?
- Vox: Republicans’ last-ditch plan to save their health bill, explained in 500 words
- Vox: The health care vote-a-rama is nigh
What can you do?
- Call your senators, particularly if you have Republican senators.
- Email, fax, tweet, and Facebook your senators… after you call them.
- Can you get to your senators’ offices? Show up. Protest.